Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 6: Weekly Update

What and How?
My SMART goal is to use my reusable bags 100% of the time I go to the grocery store or other stores for the next 6 weeks, and start checking products I use to become more aware of how hazardous they are. I did a good job of setting aside time last Thursday to look at some products I use. It didn't take much time, but I had to be sure to find some products that are on the list. I didn't bring my bags with me to Walmart last week, but it was because I only got 4 things and I figured I can just carry them anyways!




Successes and Challenges

I was fairy successful last week with my goal. Even when I didn't bring my bags with me, I found a way around getting plastic bags, and did so by carrying the items by hand to my car. This was also a challenge as I didn't have my bags, but I was quick to resolve it. I also succeeded in finding time to look up some products I use to see where I can improve on being environmentally friendly. I just to be doing laundry and noticed an environmentally friendly logo on my SHOUT bottle, but when I looked it up, it was not on the list. It was cool to see that though!




Feelings
I feel really good about continuing to achieve my SMART goal! I have all around been more aware of being eco-chic and love doing it! I feel good about being the person setting an example for others, and makes me feel smarter too!




I Learned
I looked up four products of mine I use and they are Right Guard deodorant, TRESemme hairspray, Garnier Fructis Mousse, and TommyGirl Perfume. The deodorant scored a 5 out of 10 for hazards and deemed to result in developmental/reproductive toxicity, allergies/immunotoxicity, and other concerns. My hairspray and perfume had the exact same results consisting of cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, allergies/immunotoxicity, and other concerns. However, my hairspray scored a 5 and my perfume scored a 7 out of 10. As for my mousse, it scored a 9 out of 10 and had potential repercussions of cancer, violations, restrictions, & warnings, allergies/immunotoxicity, and other concerns. This is absolutely crazy to think this could happen to me! I need to keep looking at that website and see what other products I can start to use that can replace those that are less hazardous and that I like to use.




Plans

As far as next week goes, I still plan on keeping my SMART goal exactly the way it is. I feel like I am doing a good job of maintaining it, as well as, becoming more aware of products I'm using by looking them up. On the whole, my goal for next week stays the same with: using my reusable bags 100% of the time I go to any store, and continuing to look up products I can start to veer towards that are better for me.


Blogged for the Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 6 hosted by Amy@Eco-Chic with Amy.

2 comments: