Thursday, November 12, 2009

Read 'n' Seed 4: Third Quarter of "Last Child in the Woods"

Material Covered and What it Consisted of:
For the third quarter of our Read 'n' Seeds, I read 7 chapters which contained 84 pages. The 16th chapter focused on how school's curriculums need to incorporate nature, how nature is  not 'improving' like technology, and that other countries that have nature activities included in their school days produce higher scores and grades. An example of how nature isn't improving is when a little boy was asked about gardening he had a problem with it because it's not improving like TV's and computers. He said, "All these old wood gardening tools haven't changed in decades" (Louv, 213). 



This made me step back and think that one through because does have some truth to it! For the 17th chapter, Louv explains that the third frontier hasn't completely formed, but general characteristics of it include detachment from our source of food, disappearance of family farms, suburbs shrinking open spaces, etc. It is sad to think a child may not know what he or she is eating or where it came from. In addition, I think it is very sad to see family farms disappearing especially coming from parents who grew up on them. Neither of my parents took over their farms, and it makes me wonder why. Chapter 18 was Louv's explanation on how an approach to the fourth frontier could be having legal areas to play, which could help depreciate the rate of lawsuits that go along with injuries on properties. He doesn't give a definition of the fourth frontier, but he implies that it is a way to get kids reconnected with nature. I really like chapter 19 because it had so many examples of eco-friendly homes and how to improve your house and being more green. Some examples include a green roof and green walls



Some countries in Europe have already been doing this, and have saved so much money, as well as, helping our environment. It is a good investment, because it has shown to save money later down the road. The last chapter, chapter 20, was focused on how farmlands have increasingly been invaded and becoming more scarce. One lady made a comment that there is something warming about being in a city like Sioux Falls, SD where you have quick access to nature, yet still have a big town compared to Sacramento, CA. It was cool to read about this because my whole life I have always been wondering how our country will end up if we keep adding more housing developments on vacant land. How will we continue to farm? It will be very interesting when I'm retired and see how much our country has evolved. 


I learned:
I learned a lot about myself after reading chapter 20. Ever since I was a little girl, all I have wanted to do is move away from ND (or the midwest). I have been focusing on that this semester with finding a job, but the past few weeks I have been contemplating if I truly want to move away, and after reading that chapter it has definitely made me think a lot harder! This book has made me realize how much I enjoy being outside, but never realized how important it is for my health. 


Implications and Affects:
The main point has persisted in these chapters with how important it is to incorporate nature in our lives. It is hard changing your lifestyle if you were never raised with camping or encouraged to go to nature camps, but that doesn't mean it's too late to integrate nature in your life right now! Personally, I remember when I was little and it would blizzard out and I would love looking outside, but feel cozy in my house. I think we all have some type of memory like mine that makes you remember how great nature is! 


3 comments:

  1. I thought it was really cool how you said you learned a lot about yourself and where you would like to live in the future. I don't think we realize how important our hometown means to us until we do not live there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's crazy how some small things we learn can make us think really hard about what we want to do with our life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous post! I'm glad the book has you thinking. The green walls on that building are amazing...I love seeing innovative ideas like that.

    ReplyDelete