Friday, October 16, 2009

Read 'n' Seed 2: First Quarter of "Last Child in the Woods"

The chapters and pages I read and what they were about...
For the first quarter, I read 8 chapters which consisted of 115 pages. The beginning started out a little rough with the author's wording, but after I kept going, it was much easier to understand. The author, to me, tries too hard to make visual aids for people, and ends up using too many words making it confusing. He goes on too much on little topics that it becomes to bore the reader. Regardless, the book is about how our generation is growing up in the "Third Frontier" and that the "Second Frontier" was basically skipped by the baby boomers. The "Third Frontier" to him, is children today have little association with nature and are growing up with the urban lifestyle of piercings, tatoos, and fashion trends (Louv, 20). The "First Frontier" is when there was 40% farmland and people killed their food they were going to eat that day. He claims that kids, today, have no interest where their food comes from, such as meat from a cow. He also says kids have no interest in fishing or hunting. I'm starting to have a hard time getting into this book with enjoyment, because I'm from Fargo and North Dakota is known for farmland. The midwest in general is known for farmland, so for him to make these remarks makes me think he has nothing to back himself up other than his opinion. I can't think of many of my male friend's who don't hunt or fish (or at least have gone). In fact, many of my friends love it! He finally addresses that parents restrict their kids from going out and enjoying the outdoors, like they did when they were kids, because parents fear something could happen to their children. After the first three chapters of him addressing his complaint that kids don't spend enough time in nature, he finally explains in the fourth chapter the importance of having nature in people's lives. He provides numerous studies to back up his opinion. For example, a few studies are on how the outdoors can be therapeutic, and other studies are on how having a pet has shown to reduce blood pressure. Also, he makes many points that since technology has improved and kids are using it a lot more than years ago, we are seeing the major obesity problem in our country. The next four chapters continue to reference how nature is a form of therapy, using a lot of historical people and events associated with them. He makes a specific point on how more and more kids are diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), and majority of the time their doctors suggest being outdoors to help "cure" it.

Significant points and terminology...
As I previously mentioned, Richard Louv makes his own definition of the "third frontier." I used Google to see if this was a real phrase, but it doesn't have a true definition. Louv uses the term "nature deficit" a lot throughout the book, but he admits he made up this term. As one could guess, nature deficit is when one is deprived of nature or things in their natural state.
The most significant thing I have learned is basically the point the author is trying to make, and that is how important it is to have nature in our lives. Even though I've only read part of this book, I already have a good understanding of why it is so important. The best part is Louv uses real studies to back up his statements on how nature can make a person more alert, smarter, and more positive.

Why we should care...
Richard Louv wrote this book with the intention of explaining to the public how technology that is constantly changing our lives, is taking away our focus from our natural surrounding. He makes this point because nature is important to our mental and emotional health, but many people aren't aware of it. Like I said, he uses a lot of studies to make his point more powerful. He fears if kids don't start using the natural environment, our society will start having a downfall with mental issues (ADHD) and even more weight gain. When I stop to think about it, whenever I have been stressed, one of my favorite remedies to de-stress myself is going for a walk outside. I never realized that nature was what was effective in this process! I think everyone can agree with saying when they are outside, relaxing, they feel at peace, or that they can think of somewhere outside where they find peace.

2 comments:

  1. It seems like he is making a great point that we need nature more in our lives. I completely agree with you when you say that it is destressing when you go on a walk or something. I love to just sit by the lake or walk to Hartley Nature Park and just breathe in nature. So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the book gets easier for you to read! He sounds like he is making a good point, that technology is taking up a lot of our time. I feel we need to get outside more often and appreciate nature.

    ReplyDelete