Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Eye Opener: Online Learning Activities


Advocacy Project: Arthritis Learning Activity



She gave these instructions:
After reading the summary, please answer the following questions:


1. True or Fale? Arthritis only affects people 65 years and older?________
2. True or False: Arthritis can affect every day activities such as brushing your teeth?__________
3. True or False: Obese people have a greater risk of Arthritis?________
4. Arthritis Affects the____________
5. True or False? Arthritis is the most common cause of disability?_________
6. True or False? Arthritis is expected to increase by the year 2030?__________
7. What helps prevent arthritis? a) Eating Healthy   b) Exercising c) Yoga d) all of the above 
8. What percent of people with arthritis are not able to work within 10 years of diagnosis? a) 10 b) 20 c) 0 d) 50



My Answers:
1. False
2. True
3. True
4. Musculoskeletal system
5. True
6. True
7. D.
8. D.



I thought this was a really cool topic since my stepdad has this disease. It's really sad to see him struggle with day-to-day activities due to Arthritis. I found a lot of useful information from Carrie's post that I can pass along to him. It's very bizarre to watch him in pain when you can't see what's going on inside his joints. I just wish I could rub out the pain in his hands, but it doesn't work like that!








Advocacy Project: How Safe Are Our Beaches?



She gave these instructions:
INSTRUCTIONS: Read and analyze the three websites listed above and answer the following questions.

1. List at least 3 types of disease-causing germs that can be found in recreational waters.

2. Who monitors the bacteria at swimming beaches in Minnesota?

3. What are some major causes of water pollution?

4. What are ways that we can do our part to prevent water pollution at beaches?

5. Reflect on what you thought about this subject and what it means to you.





My Answers:
1. Giardia, Campylobacter, Shigella, Salmonella, e.coli
2. Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
3. Stormwater pollution, sewage spills, natural resources
4. Don't swim when you have diarrhea, don't swallow pool water, practice good hygiene, take kids on bathroom breaks and change their diapers, change diapers in bathroom, wash child thoroghly with soap.
5. I never knew Park-Point was on the list for 5-star beaches! That is so cool! Being from the area and having so many friends with lake cabins I'm used to being aware of getting these types of diseases. The most common one is "swimmer's itch" that I hear about and it's really gross thinking about how you can get something like that! This was a really cool topic to do your project on, and it was a good reminder anyone can be exposed each time they enter the water!







This was a shocker for me! I had no clue Park-Point was a 5-start rated beach in the nation! That is a huge compliment for the midwest considering we aren't on the coast at all. It reminds me of a few summers ago when the beach was shut down because of an e. coli outbreak. I would have never thought to research more on it, but this makes me think twice. Very cool Danielle! 




1 comment:

  1. I know, I was shocked too to find out Park Point was on that list! Super crazy but it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete