Friday, December 18, 2009

Reflections: Week 13 and 14

Week 13:

We met out at Goodwill Industries for our class time and did a bunch of things out there. We first took a tour of the place and found out how big that place was! Then we were spoke to on the recycling process of many different textiles. It's crazy how materials cannot always be broken down to how we need them to be! With that being said, the big blue machine we have here in our Goodwill in Duluth is one of the coolest inventions that will go a long way! We had snack, then had our hunt down in the store with a topic we had to meet. Our group got to do whatever we wanted and we chose to pick out an outfit for prom. We had a $20 budget, and we came out below it! Going to that store was a major eye opener for me because I definitely had stereotypes toward the store and the people that go there as well. I am excited to start going to more places like Goodwill (ie. second hand shops) and not be embarrassed for it! 






Week 14:


This week on Monday we went over our junking projects! It was so fun to see what people came up with and how creative everyone is in their own way! It gave me so many ideas I can do when I go home and decorate my Mom and Stepdad's places I'm very excited. It was a bummer Sue couldn't make it, but I'm very excited to see who she picks for her top 3 choices since she is the junk guru! We had snack and then went around and explained what we learned this semester. I can't type up all the things I learned this semester because it will take me so long, but like I mentioned in class I realized what the term critical thinking is and how I can apply it to so many things in my life! Work, friends, family, sports; you name it and it applies! Learning how I can incorporate environmental health with my degree is very important to me because it gives me a much bigger advantage over those who haven't been exposed to different approaches like this to being fit and healthy. 


Overall Impression:
This was easily one of my favorite courses I ever took at UMD! I learned so much in this class it's exciting for me to pass along to everyone I know and will meet what I know/learned. I was actually contemplating going to the Head of the Department and asking him to make this class an option for Exercise Science majors because I think it is very important for many of those students to take it! Learning how to blog, alone, was a lot! I plan on making a blog for my clients when I get a job/start a career and I'm so excited to do it! I love motivating others and I love helping others become health or healthier and I know a blog is a perfect way to do that! Dr. V was a very cool professor to have and I learned so much from her this semester! Thanks to her and Steve for such a good time in the class!!


1 comment: